Thursday, July 29, 2010

Writing and Me

I love to read more than to write, frankly speaking I would make a lousy writer because I tend to ramble, am not an organized thinker, not very articulate and I most certainly don’t have the gift of the language like writers do.

So why am I writing then?

I was (quite literally if I may add) told the other day to go get a hobby(or was it to get a life? I cant seem to remember :)) To do something that would benefit me as a person, help me understand myself (sometimes), overcome my ‘readers’ block – really miss reading books:(, escape from my life’s stagnancy and sink into a time capsule where I can just be me. No fear of judgment and no rules.

This morning I find myself dusting off that thick layer of grime settled on my blog (that I had created eons back) and attempting to write my first post which sounds less like one and more like a game plan or a task list– Ahhh, just one of the ways of the corporate world that has been subconsciously ingrained in me!

I have some wonderful writer friends and acquaintances, works/blogs of whom I love to read and to follow and I greatly admire their work. The one most important thing that I can take away from their writing is to write with sincerity – your work being a reflection of your voice and your voice only.

In the coming months I expect to practice the art of writing and to get better at it so when I look back on this very post I should cringe with embarrassment and smile with nostalgia.

Two things that I would hate to project in my forthcoming blog posts:
  • Sound like a pseudo intellectual (and they are a ubiquitous kind!). I am not an intellectual; this blog is an extension of me. My audience is me and anyone who is interested in reading my blog.
  • Sound condescending to anything or anyone: including me - I hope never to plunge into a rant of self abomination OR self praise but in the same token I have also heard of “never say never” :)
Note to self: Aim to not cross the fine line between critiquing and slandering.


Hoping that writing helps me achieve some sort of fulfillment, helps me hit that pause button on life zipping by each day and finally helps me to gain an understanding of a really not so complicated me.



"Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them"

- Nathaniel Hawthorne


5 comments:

daa said...

Good start. (thumbs up)

Ashu said...

Welcome. Writing will make you think clearly and articulate, so don't worry about it. You are anyway pretty good with words and the language unlike me.
And slandering is fun... as you said, never say never.
Though the circular logic of "never say never" is frying my rational brain already.
I am happy to see you here anyway :)

kaushik said...

Good job...I think you if can ramble so much, you can definitely write :)

priya krishnan said...

Nice Job Lipsa!!!

The Quirky One said...

thank you for the kind words!